List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Alt+F3 window menu
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2004-01-16 13:07:20

 Hello,

 several people have already complained to me about the new structure of the
Alt+F3 menu. So I guess it should be fixed (I already got ok from Coolo for
such change - no i18n changes though of course). And since I apparently suck
at such things, maybe somebody here can propose a better structure.

 Basically, there were some new actions in 3.2, and after adding them to the
toplevel menu, it would have 15 entries including separators, which seemed
too much to me, so I added the Advanced submenu, and moved the advanced
actions there. Apparently a mistake - it looks like nobody really uses the
menu for things like moving or maximizing, and the advanced actions are more
often used (I personally use the Alt+F3 menu only rarely, just for the
record).

 I see these options:
- Moving entries from Advanced back to toplevel, and possibly dropping some of
the entries. All of the actions except for 'Configure' and 'Save window
settings' can have a keyboard shortcut, so the functionality would be still
available, just in a less handy way (for most people, that is). I'm not sure
what a reasonable menu size for it would be, having them all there seems to
be too much to me.

- Moving some options back to toplevel, and moving some from toplevel to a
submenu, either to Advanced, or I could steal a suitable translation from
some other catalogue (e.g. kdelibs has 'Miscellaneous').

- Any other idea?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer