List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: simpler UI for konqy
From:       Luke Sandell <sandell () freeshell ! org>
Date:       2004-01-15 22:47:15

On Thursday 15 January 2004 05:11 pm, Leo Savernik wrote:

> Why should a single program behave like two completely different programs?

1.To maintain the status quo (read: user's expectation). Microsoft started
this with IE 4.

2. The functionality of a file manager and web browser are very similar in
principle.  They are both browsers implementing trail navigation functions.
Thus they can share code, which they do.

3. A single 'viewer' programs is less confusing to the end-user.

> What's the advantage of it? I can tell you a disadvantage: It's a mess to
> maintain.

Actually, no. KHTML is implemented as a KPart, meaning it is decoupled from
the kfm base.

> As I already mentionened elsewhere,
> if there is the need for a distinct web browser in KDE,

There is.

> it must be an
> application of its own.Everything else leads to an incoherent patchwork
> that will make neither side happy.

I am quite happy with Konqueror, as are many folks, including Linus Torvalds.

Sincerely,
Luke Sandell