List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Making ENTER sent
From:       Erik Hensema <erik () hensema ! net>
Date:       2004-01-15 13:22:09

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 11:54:02AM +0000, Gav Wood wrote:
> On Thursday 15 January 2004 09:53, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> >
> > Le Jeudi 15 Janvier 2004 08:52, Cameron Zemek a écrit :
> > > I would like to make ENTER sent a message and CTRL + ENTER linebreak.
> > > Where can this be changed?
> >
> > in the chat window => settings => configure shortcuts
>
> <rant>
>
> yet another user confused as to how to change the functionality of
> enter/ctrl-enter.
>
> i've been using kde for years now and even i didn't realise "enter" was
> considered a keyboard shortcut.
>
> we *really* need a clearer way to allow users who want it to use enter to
> send messages.
>
> </rant>

No, it should be the default. It's an instant messaging application, and
instant messages in the general case consist of single, short lines.

Kopete is now optimized for the exception: multiline instant messages.

I think multiline instant messages were only standard when ICQ first hit
the market. At that time IM was new and bandwidth was low. It must have
seemed a reasonable thing to do. But that time is long gone now. Now we
just send three messages if we want to transmit three lines. Who cares?
It's easy, it's fast, it's IM.

--
Erik Hensema (erik@hensema.net)