List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: CTRL+ENTER or ENTER?
From:       Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <gustavo () gsbarbieri ! sytes ! net>
Date:       2004-01-12 6:52:08

On Saturday 10 January 2004 05:44, Sashmit Bhaduri wrote:
> On Friday 09 January 2004 23:26, Troels Tolstrup wrote:
> > No matter how you put it, i *really* can't see how it can be logical that
> > a MULTILINE input field does something different when you hit enter.
> > Should konqueror submit form data when you hit enter in one of those too,
> > since you will often not enter more than one paragraph right?
>
> Ah, but there _is_ a difference between web forms (and most multiline input
> fields) and input fields of IM clients.
>
> With most modern IM clients (except ICQ), input fields of IM clients aren't
> simply multiline. Rather, their /primary/ function is to be single line;
> but have the flexibility to be multiline (with ctrl-ENTER). This is what
> most users expect these days, unless they are ICQ users. Nearly every other
> IM client in existance does otherwise.
>
> It doesn't matter if the widget itself happens to be a
> QTextEdit/QMultiLineEdit/etc... that's mostly looking at it from a
> developer's perspective.
>
> Expecting users to set it up for themselves using "Configure Shortcuts..."
> is quite baffling to me. Most users won't even think of doing that. I
> certainly didn't until I was told of it.

Some more things I noticed. Research with your friends (try non-tech people):
- - People will be mad if their mail was sent on ENTER;
- - People will not be mad if their IM message is sent on ENTER;
- - If one like CTRL-ENTER to send IM, but it was sent on ENTER, he will at
least know that there IS a shortcut and probably will try to change it using
Settings->Shortcuts
- - If it doesn't send on ENTER, people may try other keystrokes, maybe not.
Maybe they'll think there should be a way to send on ENTER, maybe not.

- From my personal experience, which was my Father and his employees, who are
not computer tech people, expected the Kopete message to be sent on ENTER. It
was not.

   SIDE NOTE: Kopete's way of configuring shortcuts is not that easy. To set
it to send on ENTER, you need to open a chat window and go there to set the
shortcut! I mean, the "Configure shortcut" menu item from the main window and
the chat window are different, that's confusing! Really! *AFTER* you know it
works that way it makes sense, but before it I expect that menu item to work
for all the app, not just the main window.

   IDEA FOR KOPETE: maybe this thread end doesn't make everybody happy, so
what about add to kopete: Settings->Configure Kopete->Behaviour->General:
"[ ] Send on ENTER" just below "[] Use message queue".

- --
.-------------------------------------------------.
|Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri                          \
| Computer Engineer (Undergraduate) - UNICAMP / 2001 |
| Grupo Pró Software Livre - GPSL / UNICAMP          |
  | Jabber..: gsbarbieri@jabber.org                  |
  | ICQ.....: 17249123                               |
  | Phone...: +(55) 19 9138 0670 (Mobile)            |
  | Location: Campinas/São Paulo/Brazil              |