List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: More usable desktop setup
From:       Sebastien Laout <sebastien.laout () tuxfamily ! org>
Date:       2004-01-11 19:54:38

> Bien dit! (I'm not French)
>
> I prefer to make my folders have the simplest all-lowercase names possible, to
> allow easy access from the shell too. So I have docs, downloads, music,
> projects, share.  No need to have access to the desktop from home directory,
> so I moved it to ~/.kde/desktop.

Me too : I prefer *short* paths.
But, eventually, I uppercase first letter to have them more beautiful
(It's better for my sister (so, better for avarage users), and I've also
thinked about lowercasifie my folders).

But, personnaly I drag'n'drop / download / save all sort of thinks to my
desktop (yes, it is cluttered, but easier).
So I need to access to it easily !!!
I think avarage users too (perhapse less, but they will be confused if
they don't find in an open dialog the files they have dropped to
desktop).

> I am now storing my wallpapers in ~/.kde/share/wallpapers because that is what
> the "Backgrounds" kcm recognizes.  This brings up an interesting question.
> Which is better for a default setup? To have specialized directories such as
> "wallpapers" hidden away or cluttering up the home directory?

Personally, I prefer see my images/wallpapers and be able to manage them
in file browser : I don't want to hide them.
Users could also be more "pushed" to store theire pictures in
"Wallpapers" or "Images" folder if they see it.
So : do not hide it also, IMHO.

> I deleted my tmp, and haven't seen it since.

Ho ! Cool !
I will immediatly delete it :-)