List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: CTRL+ENTER or ENTER?
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2004-01-09 17:19:35

On Friday 09 January 2004 17:56, Michael Pye wrote:
> On Friday 09 January 2004 14:02, Henrique Pinto wrote:
> > As the behavior is customizable, I would vote for keeping it in the
> > current state, unless someone could provide me data to back up the
> > statements used to show that using plain Enter would be better (no,
> > reviewers' opinions aren't enough).
>
> I can ask every user I know if you want, but I can tell you beforehand that
> not a single one will advocate Ctrl-Enter for an IM client. And I can also
> tell you that none of them would customise it, they'd look for a different
> client. I could add to that fact that most of them really wouldn't work out
> to use Ctrl-Enter at all, they'd use the mouse for a while and then get
> frustrated.
>
> Enter is the way to go in IM. Possibly not in IRC where the general level
> of noise might make multi line responses hard to string together, but in
> generally two party apps like MSN or Yahoo, Enter is the only intuitive way
> to go.

I think Michael sums it up very well.

The argument to be consistent with KMail is just not big enough, and the
Guidelines, is, /guidelines/ - this is a case where it makes perfect to not
follow it. We shouldn't go blind on recommendations/guidelines - we're trying
to build things that works. And that has highest priority. BTW, someone needs
to point out to me where in the Guidelines this is mentioned.
Do I have a wrong impression on this thread or should we say - a discussion on
kde-usability ended in "ENTER is the best default for sending messages. Other
behavior needs to be reverted. Before 3.2" ?

			Frans