List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Still gtk+ file selector mockups
From:       Jorge Adriano Aires <jadrian () mat ! uc ! pt>
Date:       2004-01-09 14:16:48

> > good question. personally, i never use it and none of the users i manage
> > use it ... would be interesting to do a bit of research on that one...
>
> It may be useful when your home directory has a small size (with quotas).
> If you have write access in the temporary directory, it may be very useful
> to move some files here.
Here or elsewhere in /tmp.

> Moreover. in many cases this is the only local
> directory you can access (especially if your $HOME is remote). This is a
> common case, of course not for a home user.
No /tmp is.

Your reasoning is all about a shortcut to /tmp.

- Shortcut to /tmp/kde-user is better than nothing but not the correct way to
solve the problem. (Personally if needed to store things in /tmp I'd create
another sub-directory to avoid mixing stuff, and if I needed to go there a
lot I'd create my own shortcut to my sub-dir)

- It is not intuitive. Users don't necessarily associate "KDE temporary files"
with /tmp. If they have other purpose in mind other than check kde temporary
files they will probably ignore the shortcut.

So the fact that the "KDE temporary files" shortcut, as a side effect,
provides a incorrect and unintuitive hack around issues whose relevance is
itself debatable, doesn't seem like a very strong argument to me.

J.A.