List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kcontrol redux, ad infinitum
From:       "Charles de Miramon" <cmiramon () kde-france ! org>
Date:       2004-01-07 23:17:49

>  o the search should be integrated into the top level of the kcontrol
> interface and should be able to display results in the same place that the
> panels usually appear. think google search in your web browser meets
> kcontrol. the search index parameters need to be extended as well to
> include
> keyword ranking and relationships to other panels.

Yes. I think the model is windows XP where they have blended search in
help documents and in metadata associated with panels. But to have that,
we need an infrastructure we don't have in KDE : a good text indexer. I've
been desperatly hinting any developer I can annoy to work on that but
there seems to be little interest. snif.

>  o a metadata view should probably be provided alongside each panel that
> shows
> at a minimum short help (50 words or less), links to extended help and
> related panels, and perhaps a shorthand system for simple navigation

An idea I shared with Benoît Walter on a private mail would be to redefine
the behavior of "whatis" for KCM panel so that whatis is always active by
pressing some mouse button and shows the whatis help text in this small
contextual help panel similar to the one in Kexi
http://www.koffice.org/kexi/screenshots.php

It would be pretty neat. There is an option you don't understand, press
the right mouse button on top of it and a contextual help text is shown.

If it is done they will be tons of whatis to be written to KDE 4.0 : a
good work for the Quality team.

Cheers,
Charles
--