List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: gtk+ file selector mockups
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-01-07 22:16:43

Michael Thaler wrote:

> While I think, the current KDE file selector is pretty good, functionality-wise, I
> think, especially the second mockup looks much better and more professional than the
> current KDE file selector.
>
> One of the things I really like in the second gtk+ file selector mockup are the small
> location icons on the left. The big icons in the KDE file selector need to much space
> and are just not necessary.

Then use the: "Small Icons" option, which is only needed if you add a lot of directories.

> I also like that you can add entries via drag&drop.

Yes this would probably be an improvement.  But, we don't want to drop the feature that
the directory can be given a name different from the actual directory name.

> I just realized, that you can also change the icons in the kde file selector to small
> ones. But in my opinion, the icons are too small than, which makes the file-selector
> look worse than with the big icons. Medium-sized icons like in the gtk file selector
> icon would be best, they look good and do not need to much space.

For Medium Icons to work, the left window is going to need to be a little wider.

> And also, for most users, it is not clear, that you can change the icon size at all.

I would hope that all users know that you can right click anything to see if you can
configure it.

> So I suggest to add a medium icon-size like in the gtk file selector mockup and make it
>  the default.

Since I see very little use for the Large Icon option, I have no objections to that
suggestion.

> Also adding the possibility to add directories to the location list on the left by drag
>  and drop (and indicating it by "Drag & Drop Folders Here to Add) would be very nice. I
>  just realized you can do it by right-clicking the list, but again, most users will not
>  realize and dragging and droppling entries from the file-selector is more convenient
> anyway.

However, to me the icons are a minor issue.  If that is a minor issue, I can see nothing
major that is different except that the GTK+ one is GTK+ style and the KDE one is KDE style.

A feature that I think would be an improvement would be if the "Show Preview" option was
on the toolbar rather than in the "Configure" menu.

It might look better if the widget wasn't as wide -- this appears to be the main
difference vs. the GTK+ ones.  This would be possible if the "Often used directories" list
box was placed below the main tool bar. Or, it could be reduced to an icon like the:
"Bookmarks"  This would leave room for additional icons for options now buried in the
"Configure" menu -- all of them actually.

--
JRT