List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: simpler UI for konqy
From:       Alexander Neundorf <neundorf () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-01-07 20:21:29

Hi,

some things:

the "up" button was introduced in konqy since it was considered to be more
userfriendly than showing ".." in the directory views.
One thing I learned yesterday: it is not possible to change xmlui stuff with
rc files whose actions don't belong to the part. I.e. actions which konqy
provides can only be adjusted via the konqueror xmlui file, actions which a
part provides can only be adjusted by the part's xmlui file.
IOW: if the "up" button is removed from the main konqueror xmlui file, it
cannot be displayed by adding the "up" action to the xmlui file
konq_iconview.

That's why: the "up" button definitely has to stay.
Also when using the konqy webbrowsing profile it is still possible to enter an
url of a file system (e.g. /home/whoever). Once you are there, there is no
way to go one directory up (except the shortcut ALT+up arrow and the "Up"
entry in the Go menu, which I think both or more or less unknown/unused to
the average user).

So, removing the app button would make konqueror almost unusable for
filesystems.

(It would be possible if the "up" action could be added by the views xmlui
file, but this isn't possible without coding, and there are probably reasons
why it is done the way as it is now)

> Then switching between tabs: file://, http://, file://, will cause fast
> switching of toolbars and can create confusion

This happens anyway.
Open in one tab a web page, in another a pdf file, in another a directory and
in another maybe an image.
Every tab will feature a different UI.

Bye
Alex