List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: simpler UI for konqy
From:       Björnke_von_Gierke <bvg () mac ! com>
Date:       2004-01-06 16:15:41

On Dienstag, Jan 6, 2004, at 14:32 Europe/Zurich, Frans Englich wrote:

> On Tuesday 06 January 2004 14:05, Björnke von Gierke wrote:
>> You should get rid of more buttons. The delete and enter keys are
>> confusing (at best). The Home button is unnecessary, there are other
>> places for bookmarks. The Stop and reload buttons should be combined
>> into one button. They exclude each other, you do not want to click
>> stop
>> when you reload, and you do not want to click reload when you want to
>> click stop.
>
> It sounds tempting, easy way of removing one button and makes perfect
> sense
> too. But, there is one huge drawback from a usability perspective
> which must
> be considered - it's a dynamic interface. Frequently the image changes
> which
> robs the users focus, it also undermines the meaning of a button - the
> user
> gets a feel of uncertainty(eg. you just probably can't by habit click
> it, you
> must interpret the button before doing the choice).

These are valid conclusions, I never had problem with the changing
button, but I am a pro user. It does reduce clutter somewhat, but that
may not be worth the confusion for newbies.

> How does other browser do?

I made a picture ( http://bvg.kicks-ass.org/browsers.png ) with all the
default browser button bars on Mac OS X. Some are quite cluttered,
others are quite sleek. I personally like safari the best. Also note
that almost every browser (besides Mozilla every one) allows to change
the buttons, so you could for example include a "Up" or "Home" button
and the browser would then remember your customisation.