List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: simpler UI for konqy
From:       Rui Malheiro <rmalheiro () 6mil ! pt>
Date:       2004-01-06 14:54:21

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Era Terça 06 Janeiro 2004 13:32, e o Frans Englich escreveu:
> On Tuesday 06 January 2004 14:05, Björnke von Gierke wrote:
> > You should get rid of more buttons. The delete and enter keys are
> > confusing (at best). The Home button is unnecessary, there are other
> > places for bookmarks. The Stop and reload buttons should be combined
> > into one button. They exclude each other, you do not want to click stop
> > when you reload, and you do not want to click reload when you want to
> > click stop.
>
> It sounds tempting, easy way of removing one button and makes perfect sense
> too. But, there is one huge drawback from a usability perspective which
> must be considered - it's a dynamic interface. Frequently the image changes
> which robs the users focus, it also undermines the meaning of a button -
> the user gets a feel of uncertainty(eg. you just probably can't by habit
> click it, you must interpret the button before doing the choice).
> How does other browser do?

Opera uses a single, alteranting stop/reload button. First time I used it, I
liked it a lot and didn't find it a bit confusing. I also think that having a
single button can be used as a hint to show when the page has finished

Rui Malheiro				Edifício Empresarial 3 - Sala 2.09
Director Técnico				Pólo Tecnológico de Lisboa
6 Mil - Tecnologias de Informação			 Lisboa - Portugal