List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [Kde-accessibility] Re: KDE screen resolution policy
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-12-28 20:14:26

Harald Fernengel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sunday 28 December 2003 13:34, ojschmidt@kde.org wrote:
>
>>The layout should be designed such that on small screens, the windows
>>are rather too high than too wide, size vertical scrollbars have better
>>usability than horizontal ones. But the most important thing is that
>>scrollbars are available at all, which currently is not the case for
>>oversized windows. I guess these scrollbars are best added within Qt.
>>
>>Harald, is something like this planed for Qt 3.3? This would make a nice
>>accessibility improvement in addition to the ATK bridge.
>

> Qt 3.3 is already in Beta, only bugfixes can go in. But I'll keep the feature
> request in mind and ask the right people when I'm back in Oslo.

IIUC, the size of Qt widgets is somewhat fixed.  That is the size of the various parts is
fixed and the minimum size only varies with the font and font size chosen.

The best fix for this problem would be if the size of these various fixed parts responded
to the selected X DPI setting.  This should fix the problem for 800x600 screens -- what
ever fit on a 1024x768 screen at 100 DPI would ALWAYS fit on a 800x600 screen at 75 DPI.

It would also mean that people would not have to go to lower screen resolution to make the
widgets larger -- they could increase the DPI setting (1024x768 at 160 DPI would have the
same effect as a 640x480 screen resolution).  Unfortunately, if they choose a DPI of more
than 78 (on a 800x600 screen) the the problem of widgets not fitting on the screen would
return.  So a solution for that would still need to be found because it is inconvenient to
have to <Alt>LMB drag widgets to get to the buttons.

--
JRT