List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Use settings:/ in Konqeuror instead of KControl in 3.2?
From:       Luke Sandell <sandell () freeshell ! org>
Date:       2003-12-22 22:24:56

On Monday 22 December 2003 01:00 pm, Jason Keirstead wrote:

>Use settings:/ in Konqeuror instead of KControl in 3.2?

3.2 has been feature-frozen for some time, you mean 3.3.

> scary monstrous tree that makes many wary of KControl.

Open Control Center. Click on the "View" menu, then "Mode", then "Icon View."
Perhaps this could be the new default.

> What do people think of this?

I personally like KControl a lot.  Maybe the tree is a little much for some
people, but using "icon view" as suggested above makes it much less
intimidating.  I also like KControl's way of accessing everything from a
single window, with the navigation panel always visible, rather having new
windows pop up in front of it.  Also, since there is only one window, you
don't have to worry about you leaving things open (and thus forgetting to
apply changes).

Actually KControl could be redone in Konqueror anyway, putting a special
"settings" side pane, and the kcm kpart in a view profile, but I don't know
if people would want all the bloat of a Web browser in their Control Center.

Luke Sandell

--
"Emitted signals disappear into hyperspace if signals are blocked."
-Qt Documentation