List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: The up button in web browsing mode (was clearer separation of
From:       Luke Sandell <sandell () freeshell ! org>
Date:       2003-12-20 1:55:19

On Friday 19 December 2003 07:52 pm, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> The problem with this is that the current behavior *is already
> confusing*.  Using the Web page's LINK REL UP link, instead of being
> confusing as it is, in *many* cases it will become LESS confusing, so
> there would be no need to hide it.

I think the button should invoke the LINK REL UP link where it is defined.
Otherwise it should be grayed out, as there's no sense in having undefined
behavior. Of course, it should keep its current behavior for file management
and ftp.

On LINK REL LEFT and LINK REL RIGHT: If there were buttons were implemented
for these functions, it would be massively confusing for any user due to the
already existing "back" and "forward" buttons.  Any sane site is going to
provide its navigation scheme anyway, and we may as well not reinvent the
wheel.