List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Better shortcuts and defaults
From:       Michael Pye <mdpye () ntlworld ! com>
Date:       2003-12-19 13:50:12

On Friday 19 December 2003 08:18, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> i think this is because you can make multi-paragraph replies, so Enter is a
> valid key. i've changed it to Enter myself ... unfortunately i have no idea
> what the "normal" IM message usage pattern is (which is obviously different
> than asking what the possible IM message usage pattern is ;)

I've watched many many people use IM software and I use it myself all the
time. I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that a single line message
is the most commonly used.

People never reply with more than one paragraph, because a message of that
length is usually "stale" by the time it is sent.

Every user I know would give up on an IM program instantly if they were
required to use Ctrl-Enter to send. The single paragraph reply *massively*
more common and should be made as easy as possible.

MP