List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Usable configureability and unification [was Re: KMail
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2003-12-14 4:29:00

On Sunday 14 December 2003 04:46, Casey Allen Shobe wrote:
> Frans Englich (lau, desember 13 2003 22:13)
>
> > We actually do agree, if we take my statement in the whole:
> > "Personally, I think KDE suffers from *huge* config bloat, please do not
> > confuse that with functionality, configurability, adapability,
> > flexibility etc. When I use the term config bloat I refer to the HCI/UI
> > aspect."
>
> I'm sorry for that.  Somehow I missed everything following "bloat, " in

Not much to say sorry for. You see, If I started to apologize for every little
"mistake" I do...

> that paragraph.  I was more responding to the previous few paragraphs where
> you were questioning the value of including a feature only used by 1% of
> the userbase.  My original reaction was the same - "sacrafice it to the
> porcelain god" - but further thought and realization that it is a
> configurable option makes me realize that it might be useful for some and
> should remain as an optional feature.  What is HCI?

Human Computer Interaction - a rather broad term representing a science(well,
sort of..) which not only discusses GUI's but takes the whole "interaction
process" in account. Such as printed manuals/systems, help from colleagues,
education etc. I'm not trying to be conservative here.. but usually it
involves alot of fancy words and "state of the art science" ranging from
"cyberdogs" to "body area networks"(I'm not making this up). I think I keep a
healthy and critic distance after I've seen my teacher talking about
HCI/GUI's - it was not much I recognized. To be rude, as a teacher in network
administration once told me, "Those who not hack in the real world, they
teach".

			Franke