List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: rfc about colored indentation
From:       Stefano Borini <munehiro () ferrara ! linux ! it>
Date:       2003-12-07 13:46:15

Alle 18:54, sabato 6 dicembre 2003, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau ha scritto:
> Even more interesting might be to do the indentation thingie along the
> lines of conglomerate (http://www.conglomerate.org/shots.php).

my idea follow this line, but using the colors improve the detection of
structures. Of course, it could be used to improve readability of control
structures (eg if, switch and so on) rather than indentation, but since i'm
used to code in python there's no much difference between control and
indentation, as you know ;)

> No idea if this would expand usability for coding but it might easen the
> reading of the structures

i suspect yes, especially in python coding, where indentation and a consciuos
control of the structures is essential. When i want to close a lot of nested
statements i need to check twice that the new line indentation is correct, in
special way when the opening of that block was a lot of lines before. Using
colors, there's more finer control. I know that my "if" begin on the red
layer, and closes on the same color.

> Should I file this as an experimental wish to bugs.kde.org?

i'd like to implement it, but i have no direct practice in katepart code
(indeed i have never seen it :)). althought i think it's a matter of hacking
the paintEvent method and taking control of the indentation level of the
currently introduced line. i could try, but i cannot guarantee to achieve
something useful.