List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Proposal: Replacing Toolbar Icons in KOffice
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-12-04 22:22:15

Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Tue December 02 2003 11:16, David Faure wrote:
>
>>>and if the user chooses another icon theme and has not installed icons
>>>for that theme then it will use the KDEClasic icons which were installed
>>>as 'hicolor'.
>>
>>No, the fallback is crystalsvg since that's the one shipped by
>>kdelibs/kdebase. KDEClassic is there only if you install kdeartwork.
>>

>>>The point is that the CrystalSVG icons should not replace the current
>>>KDEClasic icons.
>>
>>!!!
>>1) You are 6 months late for this discussion
>>2) Nothing gets replaced; kdeclass icons are moved to kdeartwork
>>3) crystalsvg is the default icon theme in KDE-3.2.
>

> I think it was at least 12 months ago. And yes, it was quite a bad decision
> ( http://lists.kde.org/?t=103641676800003&r=1&w=2 )

Having looked into this a bit more I find that (in the case of KOffice) the CrystalSVG
icons are not replacing the the unthemed icons.  That is the CrystalSVG icons are
installed in subdirectories of a directory: "crystalsvg".  This is better than replacing
them -- although it appears to be in conflict with the guidelines:

http://devel-home.kde.org/~larrosa/iconthemes.html

And, it raises additional questions.

NOTE: this explains why I didn't notice the problem before DF mentioned it.  Since I did
not reinstall, but just updated, the old unthemed icons were still there in subdirectories
of a directory: "hicolor" and I continued to use them.

So, now (with KOffice at least) that it is not a question of replacing the unthemed icons
with CrystalSVG icons, but rather a question of removing the unthemed icons.  I ask why is
it in any way an improvement to remove the unthemed icons?  Is it just that the developers
don't understand how their own software -- software that they developed -- works?  Yes,
some of the other postings to this thread do indicate that those posters don't understand
how it works or the issues involved, but I thought that these were just isolated instances.

So, to put it clearly, it is not necessary to remove the unthemed icons form KOffice in
order to permit users that choose to use the CrystalSVG icon theme to use the CrystalSVG
icons for KOffice.  How could anyone think otherwise? (although it is obvious that some do
think otherwise).

So, why are they being removed??

I also noticed an interesting anomaly.

Example: in the directory: "$KDEDIR/share/apps/kword/icons/crystalsvg/22x22/actions/" on
my current install of KOffice-1.3 [HEAD], there are NO CrystalSVG icons.  To be clear, all
of the icons in this directory are the exact same unthemed icons that were previously
installed in: "$KDEDIR/share/apps/kword/icons/hicolor/22x22/actions/".  Is there some
obscure reason that I don't understand as to why these were moved?

--
JRT