List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Review of background dialog.
From:       Bernardo Hung <deciare () gta ! igs ! net>
Date:       2003-12-01 21:46:55

On Sunday, November 30, 2003 20:19, Benoit Walter wrote:
> > A review of the background settings dialog reviewed the following issues:
> >
> > 1) Meaning of "Blending" options is unclear.
>
> It has been already discussed, but as very few people understand it and
> fewer people use it, my opinion is that it should be in the advanced
> dialog.

I think it makes sense where it is since it's clear that Blending relates to
the chosen background colour(s).

Incidentally, I don't think Position relates as much to background colours and
blending as it does to the wallpaper itself, so if Position is moved up into
the Background frame, then the lower frame can be dedicated to Blending
alone, meaning the frame title can be changed to something more descriptive
of blending than just the word "Blending".

> but who needs Blending?

People who would use a particular desktop wallpaper if only it wasn't so
bright/dark/an ugly shade of <insert disagreeable colour here>, but are too
lazy to edit the image in a full-blown image editor. Like me. :)

> > 4) The option for the background icon text color is hidden under Advanced
> > where it is very hard to find.
>
> It is related to backround, perhaps. But I think it would be much better to
> have this option in the Icons tab of the "Desktop Behaviour" dialog. I
> think it makes more sense, for example the tab is only enabled when icons
> on desktop are enabled. In the background dialog, it is hidden when icons
> on desktop are disabled, which makes it more difficult to find the option
> in case you re-enable icons on desktop...

It may not be a good idea to confuse apperance with behaviour. With the
exception of Konqueror's settings, which are classified by kcontrol under
Internet & Network->Web Browser, all options relating directly to the
appearance of the desktop environment as a whole (i.e. elements that are
nearly always visible) fall under the Appearance & Themes category. The
Desktop Background configuration dialogue, however, resides in the Desktop
category.

On the other hand, I suppose that icons may be far from always visible since a
lot of users maximise the window they're working with, and they _are_ a part
of the desktop (but then again, so's the wallpaper), so the icon text
option's belonging to either category is questionable.