List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: About icon RMB menus
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-11-29 22:10:18

Dawit A. wrote:
> On Thursday 27 November 2003 06:37, Waldo Bastian wrote:

>>On Thu November 27 2003 04:45, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>>
>>>For some reason the actions often used with a CD-ROM "Unmount" and
>>>"Eject" have been moved to a second menu level.
>>
>>Maybe we can tag some of these actions with an "important" property and
>>promote them to the first level menu.
>

> The problem with that is everyone that creates a service menu entry would then
> mark theirs with the "important" property flag and we would endup in square
> one, huge context menus. Perhaps we can control the service menus included
> with KDE, but we sure as hell cannot control the ones created by end-users or
> the distros themselves. I do agree that the most important actions for
> specific icons like the CD-ROM one should not be hidden way under the third
> The most important menu items are hidden in the second level when they should
> not...

Having given his some thought:

There should be this ability to set a menu priority in the 'desktop' file (and "X-KDE"
item as per the standard).  The services with this priority set would be in the first
level menu and ones that didn't would be in the: "Actions" second level menu.

However, as you said, this will run into problems.  Possible solution:

First stage: KDE would need to have hard coded a list of services which were allowed to
assert this priority, others will NOT be allowed to do so.  This will controll the
services created by end-users.

However, I presume that users might want to have some of these services with the high
priority set be in the first level.  And, we have already heard that some users simply
don't want the option to open with Cervisia everywhere.

So: Second stage: We need an additional KCM for this which would list all of these
available services and have two options (mutually exclusive):

	Allow them to be high priority.
	Not allow them at all.

I suppose that this would be somewhat hard to implement, but I can't think of a better
solution.

Next question: Why isn't the option to open with Cervisia in the: "Actions" menu?

--
JRT