List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Ideas on Reply-To-List
From:       Harijs Buss <hbush () apollo ! lv>
Date:       2003-11-29 16:45:31

On Saturday 29 November 2003 18:28, Ingo Klöcker rakstija:

> The author (!!!) of the message. The mailing-list software is not the
> author of a message. Therefore there's nothing wrong with an email
> client that tries to figure out what the _author_ of the message
> wanted.

It's wrong. He doesn't need to "figure out" anything in the first place.
People know what mailing list is and most certainly will consider "new
meaning" of Reply button as annoying.  Imposing such "educational" changes is
IMHO absolutely doomed, specially in Linux world. People will re-configure
that back to normal behavior we all are used to, just like it happens now
with suddenly changed "Forward" default to attach instead of quoting inline.
However it will give one more argument against Linux - "Look, how complex it
is, you even can not simply reply to mailing list without additional
hassles."  Do we need _that_?

I do not know what idea was behind such definitions in RFC 2822. What I know
for sure is that even much more serious laws are not working and not obeyed
if they are not accepted by wast majority of society. Seems to me that this
Reply "improvement" will not gain such support.

Harry