List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: About icon RMB menus
From:       Aaron Seigo <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-11-27 18:26:19

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 17:11, Hasso Tepper wrote:
> > i do agree that the most probable actions should be on top. i don't
> > have any data that says what those are, though.. i have only
> > conjecture at this point. =/ i don't think we really know what the
> > speed/ergonomic profile of the menu is: how much faster would
> > promoting different items to the top be? how slow is navigating to
> > the middle of the menu once the user knows that's where it is?
> > etc..
>
> In my personal and humble opinion - first level of menu is ok. You
> have to click and move mouse only in one direction (or two, if you
> moved too much at first). Second level isn't any more. You have to
> click, move down, then right, then (probably) down again. This is
> certainly too much for very common actions. Think about laptops as
> well - how hard is to do it with toucpad for example.

ah, i thought by "on top" you meant "first items in the menu" rather than "not
in a submenu, but in the top level of the menu". stupid english. in which
case, yes, being able to define important items that should appear in the top
level based on context probably makes sense. it's basically what we already
do with servicemenus and konq menu plugins and even to the hardcoded KActions
in konqi...

you've identified mount/umount as one of those (and i do agree there, as
previously noted)... now just to identify which (if any) others exist for
other contexts and record those somewhere so we can eventually implement it.
how we end up implementing it may well end up being influenced by what that
list looks like (how many different contexts; what those contexts are based
on; how many unique items; etc).

interesting area for research...

--
Aaron J. Seigo