List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE not ready for the desktop
From:       "Luke Chatburn" <luke () linuxcomment ! com>
Date:       2003-11-25 14:52:14

Just to deflate this situation somewhat, it is worth pointing out that
desktop users very rarely use faxing. One of the great disadvantages has
always been that people generally need to receive faxes as well, and haven't
provided a unique line to do so. Moreover, if there is a phone line for the
internet which the user has dedicated, they tend to use that for internet
access, at which point, they can't send or receive faxes either.

In general, people who want faxing buy a fax machine, not a computer.

That is not to say that fax facilities aren't useful to a few people, but it
is rare. I do plenty of work for multiple clients, but they just e-mail me
their documents these days, because what they would want to fax is in fact
just a print-out of a document they just produced. As a result, I sent
precisely one fax last year, and an e-mail would have sufficed, except that
the recipient was out of the office.

So, in point of fact, KDE's faxing capabilities do need to be cleaned up, in
usability terms; that's a fair point. At the same time, however, they are
needed by very little of the market indeed, and therefore are not, by any
means a showstopper for KDE on the desktop.

So by all means, let's fix Kfax to your satisfaction, but let's not engage
in extravagent overstatement that it stops KDE being useful on the desktop
(let's remember that Windows < 2000 didn't have built-in faxing, and you
needed a 3rd party app anyway, so does that mean that windows 98 was not
ready for the desktop? I think most would disagree, and KDE and Linux are
now far better than Win98 ever was). btw, for your reference, last week,
lack of good documentation was the reason Linux was not ready for the
desktop, and before that, range of applications, lack of Office
interoperability, bad X servers, etc. Didn't stop a great many Linux boxes
from running on a great many desktops :)

-Luke