On Thursday 20 November 2003 15:22, Sebastien Laout wrote: > There is a good way to do this (IMHO). > > First, take a point of the actual solution : > > * All apps that want an icon call a class method and don't get icons > directly by loading file with hardcoded path !!! > * With KDE 3.2, icons will can be in SVG format : only one file and > icons will be GENERATED for different sizes : apps doesn't see this. The code for supporting SVG icons is present in KDE 3.1. The main reason not to use a SVG icon theme as default is that rendering SVG icons is way slower than using png. That's probably why default icons in 3.2 are still PNG (unless I missed some update in kdelibs). SVG sources are, of course, included, so unusual icon sizes can be generated. > So, I propose : > > * To have a special KIcon::Number category that will GENERATE the icons. > * Icon themes can go with theire own Number icons, that can be : > - PNGs as now (or SVG in KDE 3.2) > - Better, provides 16*32 images with only [0,9] numbers (and > then image will be centered for [0,9] asked icons > or combinated side by side for [10,99] asked icons) > (16*32 in the 16x16 directory, 8*16 in the 16x16 directory, etc...) > - Can be PROGRAMS (plugins...) as KWin styles are ! > KIcon will then call the IconNumberFactory program according the > current style (provide a KDE default IconNumberFactory if style > hasn't Number icons : this factory could take care of current > fonts ! ) Is this really worth? People find it very complicated to develop native window decorations, I'm sure they won't like having to code icon themes in C++. > * Then, icons can be cached for faster next asks ; and we haven't to > provide all 100 icons : just 10 or those they are needed... > > To summarize, I don't think number icons is a bad idea if they are > GENERATED (KSVG already generate icons, so why not numbers icons), > * according font (very simple : no specific icons per theme (as now) is > needed : default factory is used insteid of recreate the wheel for each > apps need number icons) > * or according the icon theme (if this theme provide custom icons) > * or the both in same time (if themes provides programs that generate > icons with current font AND icon theme) ! Anyway, the idea of having number icons is not really bad, even though I still haven't found a use for them. -- Henrique Pinto stampede@uai.com.br _______________________________________________ kde-usability mailing list kde-usability@mail.kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-usability