List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: key activated toolbars
From:       "Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)" <amadorm () usm ! edu ! ec>
Date:       2003-11-20 2:18:08

Quoting William Leese <william@leese.nl>:

> I do :)
>
> The idea is that individual keyboard shortcuts are inferior to the
> feature I discribed. Because keyboard shortcuts must be memorized and
> are limited (not everything has a keyboard shortcut that has a toolbar
> button). The feautre described is a compromise between the speed of
> keyboard shortcuts and the ease of use of a toolbar.

I'd rather not compromise.  Sure the mouse movement for a top toolbar is a lot,
but  you can always float the toolbars manually or put them at the bottom.  My
point is that I don't want to clobber any of the mode keys in the keyboard, for
something I would never use.

Besides, the toolbar buttons represent the most frequent actions, and if the
application doesn't implement keyboard shortcuts for the most frequent actions,
then it doesn't implement keyboard shortcuts for the toolbar buttons.  In this
case, you need to bug the application maintainer for its half-hearted attempt at
making his app usable.

> Granted the fact
> that it'd be invisible until the chosen key is pressed makes it seem as
> much a poweruser feature as keyboard shortcuts. But unlike keyboard
> shortcuts this feature only needs to be used and memorized once to
> drastically cut down on cursor movement.
>
> Note that I'm just brainstorming (as always. and as always, I don't have
> any more to offer than idea's and input). The idea was an answer to the
> question of how to comply to fitt's law optimally. To make things as
> easily accessible as possible the idea is to bring the toolbar to the
> cursor, instead of the other way around.

Remember that using the mouse to specify an action is much more timeconsuming
than using the keyboard.

>     - William

    suerte,

    Rudd-O