List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: key activated toolbars
From:       William Leese <william () leese ! nl>
Date:       2003-11-19 21:35:15

Krisztian Mark Szentes wrote:

>William, novice users do not use these sophisticated UI elements. Either
>they are newbies so they move the mouse up, click on toolbar buttons they
>see, click back into the text and then type on OR they reached a higher
>level where they use keyboard shortcuts like CTRL+B. I do not see a target
>segment that needs the feature you described.

I do :)

The idea is that individual keyboard shortcuts are inferior to the
feature I discribed. Because keyboard shortcuts must be memorized and
are limited (not everything has a keyboard shortcut that has a toolbar
button). The feautre described is a compromise between the speed of
keyboard shortcuts and the ease of use of a toolbar. Granted the fact
that it'd be invisible until the chosen key is pressed makes it seem as
much a poweruser feature as keyboard shortcuts. But unlike keyboard
shortcuts this feature only needs to be used and memorized once to
drastically cut down on cursor movement.

Note that I'm just brainstorming (as always. and as always, I don't have
any more to offer than idea's and input). The idea was an answer to the
question of how to comply to fitt's law optimally. To make things as
easily accessible as possible the idea is to bring the toolbar to the
cursor, instead of the other way around.

    - William