List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Include alphanumerical icons
From:       Roland Seuhs <roland.seuhs () hasos ! com>
Date:       2003-11-16 22:11:31

Am Sonntag, 16. November 2003 20:45 schrieb Sander Devrieze:

> Op zondag 16 november 2003 19:41, schreef Roland Seuhs:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think it would be very useful to have alphanumerical icons - icons that
> > just show a letter or a digit - available as a category in the default
> > installation.
>
> I thaught it was described in some KDE guideline that this is a bad thing
> because it will look bad when people use another font for the interface
> than in the icons and they also can't change the font. I fully agree with
> this but maybe (I don't know if this is possible) font changing is possible
> with SVG-icons: so in this case it could be useful but otherwise it's a not
> done.

Since the icons don't show up in the default installation and are only for programs \
the user adds himself, I don't see how they can possibly harm anyone.

If any user is offended by different fonts he can just not use them or replace them, \
but even the availability of standardized icon names and places would greatly improve \
the usability of KDE. (ie if you bind an app to the "A"-icon and then move the \
settings to another KDE-machine, the correct icon shows up and not the "unknown" \
icon.) It would greatly reduce the hassles when upgrading or reinstalling \
distributions. I lose icons all the time that version xy included or I added myself \
but version yz doesn't.

These icons don't have to be beautiful, they don't have to be in SVG and they don't \
have to support different fonts. People who want beautiful ions don't have to use \
them and won't use them anyway.  These icons are for people who just want the job \
done (= assign any icon that is distinguishable and available in future versions)  \
without hassles.

Roland

--
Always remember that you are unique.  Just like everyone else.