List:       kde-usability
Subject:    toolbar buttons etc.
From:       Krisztian Mark Szentes <office () produktivIT ! com>
Date:       2003-11-14 20:21:08

I disagree with many on this list, methinks.

I dislike buttons with text in them. I educated my users to mouse over and
wait for the tooltip. Text within buttons helps only in the introductory
phase but wastes screen space.

I dislike big buttons. I like many and small buttons which give a feeling
for sensible actions the application enables.

I dislike hiding menus and rearranging menus/toolbars (depending on usage).
After some time, users know by heart where to click and do not want to
waste time waiting/searching for menu entries / toolbar buttons they know
must be there.

Many novice users do not look at the menu entries but try the visible
toolbar buttons. I found only experienced users configure their toolbars,
others do not even know this means. Have you seen how many people just
click away the browser pop-up that warns about transferring form data in
cleartext over the internet. They rather click on it several times a day
for years instead of reading the alert text, understand it and the
deactivate the check box so the pop-up never reappears?

Just my 2 eurocents.

Mark
--
Krisztian Mark Szentes
produktivIT   -  Open-Source Solution Provider