List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konqueror - Disabling Web Annoyances
From:       Jorge Adriano Aires <jadrian () mat ! uc ! pt>
Date:       2003-11-14 18:58:55

> In a lot of reviews I've read, one of the most popular features of Mozilla/
> Firebird/Opera is the ability to disable/control pop-up windows. This is
> also possible in Konqueror, but how many average users know about it? The
> setting is hidden away in the javascript settings, where average users
> seldom look.
>
> How about a new section of the Konqueror config dialog where you could
> control annoyances like:
> * animated .gifs
> * pop-up windows
> * enable/disable specific plugins (i.e. flash)
>
> Being such a popular feature in other browsers, I think it'd be a good idea
> to make it more prominent in Konqueror.

The way pop-up blocking works in firbird is very good. It blocks all pop-ups
by default and shows a sign on the lower left corner whenever a web page trys
to display one, you can click it and unblock that site.

The sign is not intrusive at all which is very good (unlike the "always ask"
option), but you may always decide wether to unblock it or not (unlike the
"always block" and "smart" policies, in which the decision cannot be
controled by you).

I'd just change two things.
- Maybe it is even too non-intrusive, newbies might not notice it. It would be
nice to try and freach a balance between non-intrusive and visible.
- "Unblock for this session" option. You should be able to unblock it for a
session (to see what it is), and then either leave it blocked for future
ones, or  click again and unblock it for real.

J.A.