List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Ark
From:       Henrique Pinto <stampede () uai ! com ! br>
Date:       2003-11-11 18:56:20

Hi!

On Tuesday 11 November 2003 15:03, Yannick Cholette wrote:
> I'm trying to stop using the command line in order to zip/tar.gz my
> files. I find the switch very difficult because of usability issues with
> ark.

Thank you for your info!

Ark will undergo many changes after KDE 3.2. I'll try to fix all usability
issues I find, so please make sure yours are reported at bugs.kde.org
(BTW, it's probably better to raise these issues there instead of
kde-usability).

> For example: I tried to zip a bunch of files. I selected them all, right
> clic->actions->create zip archive. There were about 40 files, so 40
> instances of ark came up, and they created 40 zip files. This is not
> very good, as far as I'm concerned.

This is a known bug (#66885). I should have fixed it earlier, but I have
yet to find time.

This bug is already fixed for KDE 3.3, since we have a proper Konqueror
plugin instead of servicemenus. It is ready (in the ark3 branch), but
wasn't included in KDE 3.2 due to freeze restrictions. For 3.2, I'll need
to create a workaround (shouldn't be difficult, but I'm not having much
free time lately).

> Next, I wanted to add files to an already existing zip archive. I was
> thinking of selected them so that I could drag them on the zip file. It
> didnt work, so I guess this kind of stuff has not been implemented. I
> dont know if coding that sort of feature is hard, but I definetly think
> It would be nice to have something like that (probably in kde post 3.2).

Huh? This works... Even in KDE 3.1...
What version are you using?

> Yannick

	Henrique Pinto