List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Toolbars
From:       Henrique Pinto <stampede () uai ! com ! br>
Date:       2003-11-09 18:07:25

Hi!

IMO, one of the biggest usability quirks of KDE is the toolbar layout of
most apps. Consider, for example, Konqueror. It's default toolbar contains
way too many icons (most of which are never used by average users), all of
these being incredibly small.

Most users assume toolbars contain quick links to the most used
functionallity of an app. Right now, most of our apps contain much more
options than needed, and, because of default settings, they aren't really
"quick links", as it's difficult to find and click them.

Based on Fitt's Law, I believe the better approach is using larger icons as
default (32x32), with text at the bottom. Enabling this at KDE right now,
however, will bring you more problems than solutions, since some text
labels are incredibly long (and translations don't help, either), and most
buttons end up hidden because of lack of space.

My proposal here is to discuss ways by which toolbars can get better, and
implement these after the release of KDE 3.2 (It is madness to try to do
that for 3.2, IMO).

Comments?

--
	Henrique Pinto