List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kdenetwork/kopete/kopete/chatwindow
From:       Casey Allen Shobe <cshobe () softhome ! net>
Date:       2003-11-04 22:31:20

On Mon, November 03 2003 21:41, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> CVS commit by brunes:
>
> Fix #67023 via the same method as the Quick Browser.
> Consistancy instead of "pass the buck".

This is a very bad solution to the problem.  If I have a 2048x1536 screen, I
don't want to see a list of the first 20 contacts and have to click "more"
for each 20 more.  In a room with 500 people, this becomes much more unusable
than the original problem.  The correct solution is for kdelibs to scroll the
offscreen portion of the menu to be onscreen when the cursor touches the
screen's edge that the menu is overlapping.

This is what other window managers (WindowMaker IIRC) do, and it is a very
good solution.

This is a horrible solution.  In any case, the solution should be implemented
globally in kdelibs, NOT per-application.

--
Casey Allen Shobe
cshobe@softhome.net