List:       kde-usability
Subject:    default action in "dangerous" dialogs
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2003-10-30 12:58:57

 Dear KDE usability team,

 or this time, it should be rather KDE unusability team. Guess what just
happened to me. I created an icon on desktop to test one bugreport, and after
I was done, I wanted to get rid of it. I managed to do it already on the
third attempt. Isn't that great?

 As somebody who has quite high opinion about his intelligence, and definitely
isn't one of those dumb mouse-only users, I of course wanted to delete the
icon by selecting it, hitting Del, and hitting Enter. Only after repeating it
second time and seeing nothing still happened, I realized this box under my
table apparently thinks I'm a complete idiot, and wants me to confirm that
I'm sure that I'm sure. Just triggering the action and confirming the dialog
doesn't seem to be enough.

 So I just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your work, and while
writing this, I'm upgrading my KDE to TWM and xterm.

 Regards,

 yours Joe "not dumb" User

 Now, seriously. This is unacceptable. There are basically two kinds of
people:
- the "not dumb" ones, which from time to time use keyboard, and are aware of
the fact that hitting the Delete key usually results in deleting something -
these people not only don't need this change, they are also going to be
highly annoyed by this change
- the others (not necessarily dumb, but simply not using keyboard so much - I
have yet to see an inexperienced user using keyboard for something more than
entering text, but I can understand there will be experienced people who
prefer mouse) - they use mouse, changing something affecting only keyboard
doesn't have any effect on them

 In other words, the Enter key confirms dialogs. If somebody requests to have
hid head shot off, and then confirms that they really want it, they should
either have it shot off, or they should be closed somewhere away from normal
people. If somebody tries to delete a file, confirms doing so and is
surprised later, like bug #59899, maybe they should get a babysitter, or
start using GNOME. As one person reportedly said,  "a gui can protect you
from doing a dumb operation once. but it cannot protect you to do two dumb
operations in a row".

 Could somebody explain why was that bugreport obeyed, instead of closing it
as INVALID? I even noticed this "feature" has found its way into
KMessageBox :-/, and at the present time, still upset by this, I'm highly
tempted to dump it.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer