List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: ksytray madness
From:       Fabrice Mous <fabricemous () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2003-10-23 20:43:19

On Thursday 23 October 2003 21:45, Sander Devrieze wrote:

> > > I think this is a good idea. Remark: when people have very very much
> > > systray icons you get a list which fills the whole screen. So I think
> > > it will be a good thing to limit the size of it and have an automatic
> > > scroll functionality.
> >
> > Here's another idea to add to the brainstorming: How about simply making
> > the systray scrollable? The width should be draggable, and one could
> > scroll up and down using buttons or the mouse wheel, as with any other
> > scrollable area.
>
> The problem with this is that you can't see the systray icons which you
> always want to be visible (even when you are looking for other systray
> icons). I also think it's imporant that the places of the systray icons
> don't change much.

Why not make it configurable within the app wether a systray icon is shown or
not.

For example KOrganizer could have an option (checkbox):

[ ]show systray icon

I can think of lot's of icons I don't need to see on my systray although I
want them to be running in the background.

I could compile a list of icons I think need to be visualized in my systray
and icons I think don't need to be visualized in my systray.

This is purely from my own point of view and needs some more testing on
several users. I comment on the icons as shown in my own screenshot which can
be found at http://www.xs4all.nl/~leintje/stuff/systray_madness.png

I leave out 'susewatcher' and 'kinternet' because this is distro dependent
afaik. Also, not shown in the screenshot is JuK which I would like to mention
as well.

no real need for visualisation in systray when used
=====================================
- khotkeys
- korganizer
- ksirc
- kgpg
- oooqs
- klipper
- kwintv
- khrono
- ksetiwatch
- ktimer
- konserve
- kget
- JuK

needs visualisation in systray when used
===============================
- kmix
- psi
- knotes
- ksim
- kscd
- kalarm

So when you look at these list you see I need little icons to be shown in the
systray, again this is from my point of view. Again let's take the scenario
when starting KDE (my reply to William Leese):

<snip>
Okay the following applications are not uncommon for most users to have
running

khotkeys
korganizer
klipper
kmix
knotes
oooqs
kget
</snip>

That meant 7 icons in systray, but when we leave out the apps wher I think no
real need for visualisation in systray is needed we are left with only 2
icons:

- kmix
- knotes

This means oooqs, korganizer, klipper, kget and khotkeys are alle running but
just not shown in systray. I does it's job but more invisible.

I would certainly like to have an extra tab within kcontrol
For example:
KDE components -> Session Manager -> [ extra tab about systray icons ]

Fab

--
Fabrice Mous
Jabber ID: fab@vosberg.be