List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Folder" or "Directory"?
From:       "Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)" <amadorm () usm ! edu ! ec>
Date:       2003-10-22 2:22:04

> Aside from that, "directory" is a more accurate term, as one has directory
> listings of files on the filesystem, not nested subsections on the disk used
> for organizational purposes.  To call them 'folders' is simply deceiving and
> dumb.  Despite what Microsoft/Atari/Apple might try to tell you, files on a
> computer are *not* the same as files in a filing cabinet.

That's not the point.  The point is, if you tell an user "Open a
folder", with an icon of a folder, he'll understand right away.  If you
tell him "Open a directory", and there's an icon of a folder, he'll be
puzzled.

Why do you think the directory icon is a folder?

A directory is usually a phone book, or some sort of quick-lookup table
or index.  Although you and I know that a "folder" is implemented as a
lookup table or directory, that's something the user needs not know,
cares for, or has an impact on his work.  You use the word directory
because you have a fairly advanced mental model of how a computer works,
but you're the exception, not the rule.  Hence, we cater to the majority
of potential users by using the word Folder.

Yes, people are dumb, from a "I know how this works, the user doesn't"
point of view.  Instead of preaching to the user, let's just make
something that works and doesn't require any effort.

> I would be very saddened to see "Folders" in KDE.  It would be lying to the
> user.

I would be very happy.  This "lying" has reduced my help desk work.

> KDE exists to make UNIX usable to the end user, not to emulate other O/Ss.
> Even the newest Windows-->Linux convert knows that "folders are called
> directories on linux",

No.

> and they've probably already dealt with inconsistant
> naming in the Windows world and know plenty well what a "directory" is.

This isn't true either.