List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE Help Center
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () virgilio ! it>
Date:       2003-10-18 18:35:14

On Thursday 04 September 2003 16:40, Troels Tolstrup wrote:
> On Thursday 04 September 2003 11:16, Gérard Delafond wrote:
> > Le Jeudi 4 Septembre 2003 04:16, Troels Tolstrup a écrit :
> > > I have been playing around a little with the KDE Help Center, and there
> > > are some things that bugs me about it.
> > >
> > > First of all, it seems to be a unique application, i can't seem to
> > > start more than one at a time.
> >
> > The same for me. It is BAD.
> >
> > I remind my wishes :
> > -to have a button to call english help when you are using another
> > language (to get a more up to date version, or in case of doubt of a
> > translation bug) -to have a warning about translations (same reason)
>
> While i think this functionality sounds nice, debug wise, i don't think
> this is suitable for end users. Not everyone got english as their second,
> or even third, language, so making the assumption that they want easy
> access to the english version is IMO rather silly. Maybe said feature could
> be a (hidden) config feature, that you need to add to your khelpcenterrc
> file (or whatever it is called)

I would like to have access to the ORIGINAL documentation, which happens to be
in english.

It happens that the translated documentation can be a bit outdated, especially
in countries where the translation team is not very big, and tends to
concentrate on the interface translation. If no translated documentation is
found, the english document is shown anyway.

In any case, the user can set up a prioritized list of known languages in the
control center. I think the help center only respects the first one...
It should at least try to find documents in any of the languages specified by
the user.

I propose that the Help center should search the documentation according to
the locale priority, and for it to have some way to switch from any of the
languages the user has familiarity with.

Maybe this is too late to do for 3.2, but I think it should be added sooner or
later. The feature is probably usefulf for "advanced" users, or translators,
like me, so it's okay if it is available only through some not-too-prominent
menu entry.

Luciano