List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Folder" or "Directory"?
From:       "Luke Chatburn" <luke () linuxcomment ! com>
Date:       2003-10-17 23:39:54

Hi all

On the subject, it is nice to consider cleaning up the language a bit. In my
experience, most users tend to prefer to use the word Folder, both through
the representation and the ease of the metaphor. I myself use them
interchangably, and sometimes users do get confused, so I try and make an
effort to use Folder.

In the real world, users are also used to Directory as being a a look-up,
such as a telephone directory.

Honestly, I think this entire conversation is academic, since I doubt the
naming will ever be harmonised across all KDE and apps, let alone that
conversations on this list about such things will make a difference. But in
a perfect world, one that I controlled, I'd use Folders for filesystems and
make Directory solely a name for look-up tables.

-Luke