List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Folder" or "Directory"?
From:       Troels Tolstrup <troels () tolstrup ! org>
Date:       2003-10-16 11:15:21

On Thursday 16 October 2003 12:10, Craig Drummond wrote:
> Has any decision been formally reached over whether KDE should use ther
> term "folder" or "diretory"? There was a briedf discussion about this
> before (last month) -
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-usability&m=106138638515393&w=2 - however I
> don't think a descision was made.

The argument in the mail you linked to is that file system folders should be
named directories, while non-filesystem folders (like kmail folders) should
be named folders.

I personally think this is rather insane, as i doubt any normal users will
be able to make that distinction.

I personally don't really care which name is used, but i think the same name
should be used everywhere. Though i guess the fact that windows and macos
uses the name folders, and the icon actually looks like a folder is a good
argument against using the term directory.

Maybe you should take this to core-devel? The chance of actually reaching a
decission there is better i think.

Mvh
Troels