List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Screensaver login security?
From:       Larry Staberg <larry.staberg () boeing ! com>
Date:       2003-10-07 14:16:19

I am currently using RedHat 7.3, 8.0 and kde 3.1.4.
I would like to suggest/query about a feature to allow the root
password to be accepted along with the users password when
unlocking the screensaver..
This is an idea that will assist the system admin, when a person
leaves his computer with the screenlock on, yet the administrator
needs to have access for maintenance or to help the user..
Or, in a laboratory setting, where a 'Test User' is used to run
multi day/hour tests that currently either the password needs to
be advertised or the screen is never locked...(the latter is not good)

(yes, I can login at the console and delete the lock process)

If this is implemented, it should be a configurable option and placed
in the Security & Privacy area of the Control Center.

Does this now exist..? I've searched but no can find...

This feature is a default policy with CDE on HP-UX systems..

--
  Regards, Larry Staberg
  voice:  (206) 655-5054              usmail: Boeing Commercial Airplane