List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: favicons in taskbar
From:       Troels Tolstrup <troels () tolstrup ! org>
Date:       2003-09-22 23:20:11

On Monday 22 September 2003 23:44, Sander Devrieze wrote:
> IMO the standard behavior should be like this:
> 1) Show before the window title bar text the icon of Konqueror (standard
> behavior).
> 2) Show after this text - eventually between brackets - the favicon. In
> the taskbar and other places where the text is sometimes longer than the
> available space, it should be showed at the end of the button so that
> it's always visible.
>
> Advantages when this is the default behavior:
> Consistency (you always have the application icon on the same place.)
> without loosing the usability advantages of favicons.

Yeah, thats *really* much more consistent than it is now, konqueror and
konqueror alone adds an extra icon at the end of the text...

I will agree that it could be a potential problem that the icons change, but
i think the idea of adding extra icons sounds kinda silly.

To me the only real question is whatever the icons should show the konqueror
icon or the favicon.

I guess this all depens on what is most important to people. To make it easy
to spot all the konqueror windows from all other windows, or to help spot a
specific konqueror document.

For me personally the answer is simple, i don't care which windows are
konqueror windows, i care about finding the document i am looking for, and
i find that the favicon is a very important part of this.

Yes this is a problem with tabbed browsing, but showing the konqueror icon
as well as the current favicon doesn't do anything to help this IMO.

I too would like to see actual proof that people get confused about the
current behavior before it is changed. (yes, i can see some of you
obviously don't like it, but i am sure i can find a whole lot of people who
don't want even more icons on their screen and who do want the favicons)

Maybe the simple answer is an option to turn off support for favicons
globally in konqueror? (maybe just a config file option)

Mvh
Troels