List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: korn configuration box
From:       Gav Wood <gav () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-09-12 9:34:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 10 September 2003 13:30, shlomi wrote:
> Roger Larsson wrote:
> > I think the usecase "monitor own pop" is not that common. Why do that?
> > Why not run kmail directly? memory usage?
>
> I don't know .. Answer this: Why do people use Karamba/Gkrellm to monitor
> their own pop3 mailbox? i'll tell you why - they didn't know Korn can do
> it :D
>
> > I suggest another approach instead.
> > * Split korn in server and viewer.
> > * Let the server run under root to be able to read kmail config files.
> >         This avoids data duplication, less problems when changing
> > password...
> > * In kmail add multiselection:
> >         non monitorable, monitorable by me, by group ..., by all
> > * korn config could then select among the monitorable.
> > * kdm could show mail icon in image.
> >
> > Parts of this could be done even if korn was not split - read the users
> > kmail/
> > evolution config. But I guess there will be a problem if this info is
> > encrypted in kdewallet...
>
> ... ... I don't know, it's all sound very nice but too complicated.
> Root server and kdm reading it, sounds like a huge security problem ahead.
> Displaying personal information (number of unread messages) while loging in
> is not a feature i would like to see in a unix/linux/[place any other well
> secured system here] system (it's not a feature, it's a bug IMO).

never the less it's a feature that's no doubt useful for some user groups.
families using their computer who are not quite as strict over internal
security issues would probably benefit from this.

to use an example, password-less/automatic logons are probably "not a feature
i would like to see in a unix/linux"... but they are without a doubt useful
for some kde users.

gav

--
Gav Wood <gav@kde.org>