List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Tabbed browsing deactivated by default?
From:       david mattatall <davidsmind () linuxbasics ! com>
Date:       2003-09-04 9:05:26

On Wednesday 03 September 2003 04:04, David Hugh-Jones wrote:

> I have to say, I've always wondered why tabs in browsers are considered
> cool, whereas the exact same feature in MS Office (97?) was widely disliked
> and was later replaced by moving the tabs to the taskbar. I'm a big fan of
> having all your MDI in one place, as it were.

Ugh, not all MDI are created equal my friend. Office 97 (and other programs)
had a god-awful consept of MDI, which was that

"If every document oriented program creates it's own desktop space in which to
put it's own windows, one won't get a main desktop cluttered with windows"

Tabbing is very different, and should be treated as such. It's philosophy is
more like this.

"If certain document oriented programs allow for document switching on the
fly, multi-tasking can be much easier"

The problem with MS-MDI was that it was never "on-the-fly" it took at least
two clicks in two seperate locations to get what you were looking for (if you
were lucky).