List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kmenu rewrite
From:       William Leese <yatsu () wanadoo ! nl>
Date:       2003-09-03 16:36:49

Michael Pye wrote:

>On Wednesday 03 Sep 2003 12:54 pm, Waldo Bastian wrote:
>

>>>Perhaps it would be sensible to try and automate adding newly installed
>>>applications to the custom menu, since the user is obviously going to
>>>want to use the app as they are installing it... this should also apply
>>>on multi-user systems.
>>>

>>How is that different from having the current KDE menu? All the
>>applications in the current KDE menu have been installed by the user.
>>

>Part of the problem is that KDE apps are not usually installed individually,
>but as part of kde[network/multimedia/toys/etc]. Perhaps a "New programmes
>detected, which would you like to add to your menu?" type dialogue would be
>useful?
>
>This would of course point out that any applications not selected could be
>added later (with method for doing this) and that all installed apps can be
>found in the "All apps" menu...

Why bother the user when we should be able to figureout when to do what?
If a user installs an application he/she will most definately want to
have to accessible. If he/she installs a kde module such as
kdemultimedia then we should provide good defaults. People don't install
kde modules seperately, they are often installed with the system or just
after when the user figures out he/she is missing something.

But the problem is that with this setup you're not going to be able to
avoid initial and perhaps ongoing confusion.

- wvl