List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Making grey lists easier to understand
From:       Gérard Delafond <gerard () delafond ! org>
Date:       2003-09-01 9:22:27

Le Lundi 1 Septembre 2003 01:35, Stian Søiland a écrit :
> On 2003-08-31 22:57:03, Gérard Delafond wrote:
> > Example2 shows it is not easy for people to guess the second box depends
> > on the second line of the first box
> >
> > Example3 shows a simpler way to understand this dialog
>
> This was a bit easier to understand :=)
>
> I totally agree that the "run around the frame"-option should be moved
> up.
>
> However, there should be a radio button for "Text will run around the
> frame", as it still is not clear that these "Left", "Right" (..) selects
> "Text will run around frame".
>
> So:
>
>     ( ) Text will run through this frame
>
>     (x) Text will run around the frame
>         ( ) On the left side
>         ( ) On the right side
>         (x) On the side with most space
>
>     ( ) Text will not run around this frame
>
> The sub-options are grayed out until "around the frame" is selected.
>
> Keep the icons as in example3.png.
>
> The option "Longest side" should be "On the side with most space"
> or something like that, that's the actual effect.
>
> (the side is not the 'longest', it's the 'widest' side..)
Hi !

My message in fact tells about several things :
-this particular box, which can be improved (better strings, etc.). I agree
these strings can be more clear

-the more general case of list depending on other lists.
In this case, I don't agree with the check in front of the line
(x) Text will run around the frame
This check just needs one more click, which is just time consuming

-the even more general case about grey lines you don't know how to make them
black.
Example : In Edit menu, the Paste item is grey until something is in the
clipboard. Some tooltip which could explain this would be very useful.
The problem is the same when you configure your kernel. The options you need
are always grey, and you must look around for a very long time to find out
which options must be activated before the module you want can be compiled.
People spend very much time because of this sort of issue.

Gerard