List:       kde-usability
Subject:    kmenu and its application repository
From:       Tom Chance <tomchance () gmx ! net>
Date:       2003-08-29 20:26:16

Hello,

This is my first post to this list, so apologies if this has been discussed
before. I've tried to find this suggestion in the archives and haven't really
found any, so here goes...

Proposal:
Have an application repository for KDE that is seperate from kmenu. kmenuedit
then uses this repository, as do all other KDE apps that would use the kmenu
repository.

Justification:
At the moment, kmenu acts both as an application menu, and as a kind of
repository for applications that KDE knows about, and can associate with file
types, icons, etc. This means that you need an application in kmenu to be
able to conveniently "refer" to this application when performing various KDE
operations.

Now I recently streamlined kmenu to only include applications I run from
kmenu, but this then had the effect of ruining a lot of my file type
associations, and makes running the programs from the ALT+F2 dialogue more of
a pain. So I basically either have to have a very cluttered kmenu, which is
confusing for myself and other less techy users, or I have an ordeal working
with other parts of KDE.

Would it not make sense to have an application repository that kmenu, the
"edit file type" dialogue, and other components use and edit? Then KDE
components that use it can show to the user as much or as little as is
appropriate in the given situation. So the kmenu shows what the user wants in
the menu, but upon editing an item in the menu, you can see all the
applications that KDE is aware of.

Regards,

Tom