List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KMenu tooltip
From:       Troels Tolstrup <troels () tolstrup ! org>
Date:       2003-08-28 15:06:20

On Thursday 28 August 2003 14:56, Stefano Borini wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 01:45:05PM +0100, Michael Pye wrote:
> > An alternative simple idea which assumes that I am right in thinking
> > that ktip will always run on first log in:
> >
> > Make a ktip entry which shows a picture of the kmenu button and says
> > "Click here to begin" (s/Click here to begin/Something useful/ ! ).
> > Then force this to be the first tip shown.
>
> these are good ideas, but don't forget that the k menu icon also must
> looks different to ehnance the concept that behaves in a different way
> and its role is central in the kde desktop environment.

I definately don't think that it *must* look different. It already *can*
look different if you add a tile to it, but IMO that extra color is
annoying. (i find windows xp's task bar visually noisy because of its
different and IMO aggressive colors)

I mean, once i have noticed that the kmenu icon displays this menu, i will
hardly need any visual clues afterwards.

I think this is a general flaw with the idea of using colors to point out
certain basic things. Once you have noticed them, it is really just noise
IMO, which distracts you from what you really should focus on, which is the
controls to actually get your work done.

Mvh
Troels