List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KMenu tooltip
From:       Trian Karayiannis <tak2 () kent ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2003-08-26 23:18:34

> IMO, it's so better to *move* (and not only *point*) the cursor to the
> KMenu in an animation.
> So, user can see its cursor move strangly (but it's only for the first
> time, so it's reasonnable) *alone* and stop behind the KMenu.
> It will be more surprised and can take conscience of that and click to
> the KMenu to see why its cursor was moved here.
>
> Isn't it ?

This might look a bit strange if it's a plain move. Suggestion:

(Disclaimer: I'm not familiar with KDE APIs etc. --yet)

Start with mouse pointer centered. Pointer flashes (a'la star) and moves to
corner where KMenu is and stops there. At that point a tooltip appears above
the KMenu saying "Use this button to..." and stays there either until clicked
or for 30secs (say) max. If there is no cursor movement, the cursor slips
back to the center.

Theory is that people generally like flashy/impressive stuff (why do you think
movies have so many big explosions?). And if something makes an impression,
they remember.

regards,

Trian