List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: OT: problem changing KMenu (was: Re: KMenuEdit vs. direct
From:       Iain Roberts <iain () cairnlin ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-08-26 16:07:38

> I wanted to chip in the latest results of this. While on the topic of
> whether we should be using inline editing for the KMenu, I think a more
> important issue must be addressed first: that of inconsistency between the
> contents of the ~/.kde/share/applink folder's contents and what appears
> when you open KMenuEdit (notwithstanding any differences from the global
> 'applink').
>
> Disclaimer: this may look like a rant if you get it wrong. It isn't.
> Consider it as points to keep in mind, since you're thinking of
> reimplementing this bit.
>
> I spent about 2 hours trying to convince KDE that there were no 'System',
> 'Utilities' and 'Settingsmenu' folders in the top level, but they were all
> in a 'System Settings' submenu.
>
> Things that didn't work:
> [Lines cut here]
>
> End result: it got so mangled I resorted to ' rm -rf ~/.kde* ' , logout,
> and back in to reconfigure KDE from scratch.
>
> I hate to say, but this is something even M$ got right. Simple things.
> If you want to try this, I highly recommend making a backup of your ~/.kde/
> first.
>
> Again, sorry if this seems a rant. It is *not* intended to be one. I just
> share my experiences today, hoping they can provide any useful pointers.
>
> regards,
>
> Trian

I agree completely.  I have tried configuring the Kmenu via kmenuedit on
different versions of SuSE and Mandrake and it just doesn't work correctly.

If I start it up and make changes, I expect those changes to be reflected in
my Kmenu when I exit.  Some are and some aren't.  The results are
inconsistent.  I have seen many of the bugs that Trian reports.

Here are some more issues/bugs I have encountered :

1. No save option.
When I go into an application and make changes to something, I expect to be
able to save those changes.  Not having a save option is confusing (are my
changes saved or not?  I don't know).

2. On Mandrake 9.1 there is a task-based sub-menu to the Kmenu.  Sometimes it
appears, sometimes not.  I have no idea why.  Maybe I could go away and
figure it out, but I'm sure my granny couldn't - and why should she.

Thanks for the ideas about clearing out files under .kde or in /tmp.  That
helps me achieve what I want to but isn't much use to a non-technical
command-line averse user.

Forget the debate about kmenuedit vs. drag-and-drop.  Can we just have
something that works like you expect it to?

Iain.