List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: K icon
From:       Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde () carewolf ! com>
Date:       2003-08-26 7:48:09

On Monday 25 August 2003 22:00, Stefano Borini wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 03:44:24PM +0200, Gérard Delafond wrote:
> > Just an idea :
> > A simple applet beside the K menu, with an arrow
> >
> > K <-Click here to make any action
> >
> > When people are tired with it, they can remove it like any other applet.
>
> too much windows-like, and IMHO it doesn't solve formally the problem.
> Why? because i think users doesnt' need someone to tell them what to do,
> they should simply called by it. I think it's better in usability a panic
> exit device than a simple handle with "press me" wrote over it.
>
> The rationale in here is simple: catch the user attention without too
> much hassle, since this widget is always visible, and it _must_
> harmonize with the surrounding environment. This could be done with
>
> 1) different aspect or colour (like XP)
> 2) animated phrases (your idea)
> 3) animated icon (only once, since having a constant animated icon is a
>    pain both for eyes and for cpu)
> 4) brand power (like macosx face does, and also ms flag)
> 5) textual hint (your idea and windoze)
>
> I think the first point is the target, since kde doesn't have a powerful
> brand posed in users' head yet. Animation could also work, but the real
> risk is to disturb the user's eyes, so they must be limited only at
> login time, no more.

Support for animated icons was put in Kicker for exactly this idea, but
unfortunatly I have never been able to convince any of the artists to
actually make an icon for it. Tackat said he would think about it 18 months
ago.

I thought we could then activate the animated K for a few seconds through a
DCOP-call.

`Allan